Someone once told me that if you were to dine at a different restaurant in New York every single day that over the span of your life you still wouldn’t come close to eating at all of the restaurants in this city. And for a small town girl, who gets intimidated by too many choices at a big grocery store, this can be beyond overwhelming, not to mention throwing in all the shops, bars, clubs, tourist attractions and people from all walks of life everywhere. But for many that is the beauty of NYC. There are millions of options and they are conveniently all around. Here are some of the spots I’ve come to love over my last few years exploring NY…
Gansevoort Park Ave – AKA my NYC home. We stay here pretty much every time because of the convenient location, great rooms and amenities (gym, spa, Asellina Restaurant -delicious upscale Italian).
- FANCY SCHMANCY – Blue Water Grill at Union Square, took Lisa here for her birthday lunch. Food was great and the dessert was amazing!
- MEXICAN – Cafe Frida, killer guacamole and I love the jalapeno margies here! Fajitas were delicious, and great location, upper west side near the park
- CHILLAX – The Beach at Dream Hotel, poolside dinning makes you feel like you’re on a tropical vacation. Also a perfect place to take kids because it’s usually not too crowded so you don’t feel rushed & crammed.
- GET HEALTHY – Westville, try the apple cider mimosa, breakfast till late and yummy healthy veggie sides
- UPSCALE/UPBEAT ITALIAN – Bagatelle, the Meatpacking Districts version of Villa Romana in St Tropez
- SUSHI – Sushi Samba, been to the one in Gramercy on Park Ave a million times and I always love it. Tried a new place called SEN on this trip and the sushi was good but the service was terrible!
- BBQ – Blue Smoke, while my friend Danee and boyfriend had a rib eating contest I happily stole all the pickles off everyone’s plates. Great food & good cocktails in a lively atmosphere!
- OUT OF NY FEEL – Ted’s Montana Grill, just as good as the one in Bozeman, Montana
- LONG ISLAND – Da Nicola, My aunt Lisa usually picks me up at JFK & this spot near her house on the island is quickly becoming our favorite for its delicious Italian dishes (love the sautéed artichoke hearts!), and mellow atmosphere. If you’re staying near JFK when you fly in this is a great dinner option. If you’re solo grab dinner at the bar, where you can enjoy the full menu while you make friends with the cute brunette bartender.
- SEAFOOD – CATCH, had my 29th birthday at this hip spot in the Meatpacking District
There are millions of places in NYC to grab cocktails but if you want to try a new hip scene in the Meatpacking District TAO just opened at an impressively massive downtown location. Stopped in here Thurs night for a quick nightcap with my bf and loved the vibe!
- DIVE: El Rio Grande, don’t have more than two of the deceivingly strong blended margaritas here or you’ll get “Rio’d” AKA finding out the hard way how I got my nick name “Magda bird.” Let’s just say me + subway + too many margies at Rio = no bueno
- UPSCALE SPORTS BAR: BOUNCE, My boyfriend said he use to live on 21st at Park for convenience. Ya conveniently located super close to this club+sports bar in one. This is true #LOVE for anyone who likes going out to clubs and loves sports!
- COLLEGE SPORTS BAR: Brother Jimmy’s, tried to watch the football game here last Sunday but ended up spending more time watching my friends chug Pabst Blue Ribbon (sick!)
DE BERARDINIS – I have long blonde hair and I do care when my roots grow out and look like crap. But it’s very hard to get an appointment at a good salon when you are traveling around all the time. My friend suggested Dallas at De Berardinis, and got me in to see him on this trip. He did an amazing job as you can see from the photo of me in Miami, below, splashing in the ocean with my newly highlighted locks. Another reason I love NY is that the gorgeous beaches of Miami are just a short plane flight away!